Monday, November 30, 2009

Thank God For Max Hall

This weekend marked the annual Holy War between University of Utah and BYU. They are arch rivals (at least as much of a rivalry us wimps in Utah can afford - you want rivalry go to the UNC/Duke basketball game, the Florida/Florida State football game, USC/UCLA football game, etc). It came down to the wire (as it usually does); BYU won in overtime. Alas, I was upset because I am a Ute through and through. The game didn't outrage me, however. It was a good fight on both sides of the ball. In fact, it was a very good football game. I was happy to watch the battle. The game was very heated. There were many penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct. Rivalries get the best of any player, I understand that. I understand that there was probably trash talking from both teams. That is to be expected. What more can you expect from 18-22 year old boys. Actually, when it comes to BYU the age range is more like 18-26! Yes, that's because of the missions.

After the game, as usual, the star players are shoved into a press conference. I don't necessarily agree with allowing players to go into a press conference before they go into the locker room to calm their emotions. We have seen it time and time again coaches and players making fools of themselves because they are still in the heat of the battle. Max Hall (QB/senior/captain for BYU) was the obvious choice for a press conference. He made the game winning pass. Great! Let's hear from him. But first should we allow him to take his pads off??? You be the judge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pe7ZyfQ0ic&feature=related

For those of you who don't want to watch the youtube.com video here's the actual words he used. "A little bit, yeah. I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything... So it felt really good to send those guys home...They didn't deserve it. It was our turn, and our turn to win. We deserved it. We played as hard as we could tonight. And it felt really good, again, to send them home, to get them out of here, and so it is a game I will always remember." Max Hall continued, "I think the whole university, their fans and their organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserved to lose."

Now, I'm a Utah fan so this might seem a little one sided. I get that. But alas, this is my blog not yours! When that cute girl from University of New Mexico beat up a BYU girl during a soccer game, bet your ass BYU was up in arms. It made national news. Why is that?! Is it because girls should be made of sugar and not spice? Why is it ok for Max Hall to say he hates the entire Utah organization and nothing will happen to him. Elizabeth Lambert (the UNM soccer player) was suspended for a year due to her actions. What will happen to Max Hall? Max Hall is now the face of BYU, not to mention Mormons, and ultimately the state of Utah. Yes, unfortunately, outside of our little bubble, people hear Utah and automatically associate it with Mormons. Therefore, Max Hall is the spokesman for us. Don't let him get away with such bad sportsmanship.

Here's his retraction, “I made comments toward the entire University [of Utah] that were really directed specifically at those fans in [Rice-Eccles Stadium]. It was not intended to be directed at the entire organization and all of their fans and I apologize that it came out that way. I have the upmost [sic] respect for Kyle Whittingham, his coaching staff, and the Utah football players. I apologize to them and other members of the university for my comments. I’m also sorry if my comments took anything away from my teammates and coaches and our victory Saturday.” First of all Max Hall, learn how to spell - it's utmost not upmost - what are they teaching you at BYU?

OK, so here's my attempt to be fair and unbiased. Now, I'm unsure how beer was spilled on your family Max Hall, Utah's campus is a dry campus. There are no beer sales in Rice-Eccles Stadium. Oh wait! That's right, those devils in red can smuggle alcohol into sporting events (yes Utah is the devil school, just look at their colors). But maybe the fans weren't meaning to spill beer on your family. Maybe, just maybe, they were inviting you into their gang. You know, like pouring one out for the homies. See, it was a peace offering, not a reason to hate.

Grow up Max Hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment