OK, I try really hard not to bash professional athletes even though they deserve it a lot of the time. However, this is getting ridiculous...Lindsey Vonn...SHUT UP! After whining about her "shin bang" I was thinking she was a baby. She had an injury that she claimed she couldn't ski in the Olympics. Her "injury" was a bruised shin. Now, don't get me wrong, that hurts like a beast, however, most Alpine skiers have to push through this injury and ski just fine. After all, her events last 2 minutes or less. What kind of pain can you endure for 2 minutes or less? I'm guessing a whole lot. Especially if it's for the Olympics! Come on now Lindsey. Being an athletic trainer I've seen athletes push through worse pain than a bruise (which happened to be located above her boot). I tried to bite my tongue and let her shin bang slide.
I won't go into her crying hysteria after she won the gold medal in the super G because I don't know how I would react if I won a gold medal. I'd probably cry too, but must NBC show her hysteria for 5 minutes while I am trying to watch other skiers perform? There are countless athletes in the Olympics that endure just as much pain as Lindsey, but NBC likes her because she's pretty.
Today while skiing her first run of GS, Lindsey crashed and broke her pinky. Now I laughed because she made a big deal about it. It was front page news on MSN.com, Yahoo.com, KSL.com, and countless other news websites. Seriously, her pinky finger. She said it "was like a pretzel - all tangled up." She has a non displaced fracture of her proximal phalanx. This is not a huge deal. She basically broke the bone that is between your hand and the 1st knuckle on your pinky. It's not dislocated or anything, it's just cracked (therefore looking nothing like a pretzel!) For the most part, this will be a non surgical injury.
The news articles that I have read say that Lindsey is not sure if she will compete in the slalom. Seriously Lindsey, it's the FREAKING OLYMPICS!!! Toughen up buttercup, get a splint for your pinky and compete in the last event. Granted the slalom could hurt your pinky as you have to punch the gates as you race, but if you have a hard splint over your owie then I'm sure you will be fine. If she was my athlete, I'd do everything I could to make a hard splint for her and tell her to compete. I would probably use the term "Toughen up Buttercup" as I use it often with my athletes. It works particularly well with my male athletes.
If you would like to read the news articles about her I have provided them for you.
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/alpine_skiing/news?slug=ap-ski-vonncrashes&prov=ap&type=lgns
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=444715.html?__source=msnhomepage>1=39003
No comments:
Post a Comment