Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Black Magic or Medicine?

While treating an athlete today, I was explaining how infrared light therapy worked. I explained that it's a "magical light" that stimulates cell growth and promotes healing. This was the easiest way to explain light therapy to the high school senior. Through the course of rehab I had to explain how ultrasound worked (he was asking Why questions like a 3 year old). I explained that there is a crystal inside the ultrasound head that expands and contracts causing sound waves which enter the body's tissues causing cellular friction, thus resulting in heat. My athlete, a bonafied smart ass, laughed and said that I'm applying black magic to heal his injury (crystals and lights). He then asked if we could sacrifice a chicken. I told him yes, but only after I burned the proper incense and cast the proper spell.

This got me thinking...is athletic training black magic or medicine? Do we apply tape for a "magical" fix or is it really helping? Do we really believe that this red light penetrates through 3-4 centimeters of tissue and targets damaged tissues? Does this crystal really heat a muscle? Or should I be burning incense and sacrificing chickens? Do the Polynesian's (Poly's) have it right - witch doctors and healing men. Was it the "magical" leaf that we wrapped on an athlete's foot or was it the compression wrap that removed the swelling? Is it true that my athlete felt better after his mom and aunts walked on his knee? ***Yes, you read that right, I had an athlete hurt his knee a few years ago, yes, his mother and 2 aunts literally WALKED on his leg. The mother came in and explained that in the Polynesian culture walking on an injury helps it heal. I was astounded. I couldn't imagine having anyone walk on my sprained ankle, torn ACL, or whatever. Hell, most athletes don't want me to touch their sprained ankle let alone have a 300 lb woman walk on it!

Am I applying black magic or white magic? Am I Glenda the Good Witch of the East or am I the Wicked Witch of the West? You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment