Boy 1: "Lets go to a movie. I wanna see Where The Wild Things Are."
Girl: "That looks really good."
Boy 2: "I don't want to see it yet, I want to read the book first."
I was stunned. Afterall, the book has literally 9 sentences...9! It can't be that difficult for a high school kid to read. I really wanted to turn around and say "They roared their terrible roar and rolled their terrible eyes and gnashed their terrible teeth and showed their terrible claws." But I refrained. Yes, I realize it would have been a great ending to this story, but alas I'm a chicken.
The joys of Generation Technology (Gen Tech) is that they don't have to read. If the book is any good they will eventually make it into a movie and if the movie is any good they will mass market the product - making video games, board games (I forsee Where The Wild Things Are-opoly), McDonald's toys and iPhone apps. Who needs to read a classic book when you can just play the video game or download the app?

No comments:
Post a Comment